First Canadian race for Faulkner’s team in US Championship series
July 11, 2014 by Leo Nulty
The leading international Porsche driver, Donegal’s Damien Faulkner, flies to Toronto today for his team’s first Canadian race this Sunday, as part of North America’s new super series – the United SportsCar (USC) Championship. Faulkner, who is the main driver for team GB (Global Barista) Autosport says he enjoys racing at Mosport.
“I have had some pole positions there but have yet to win. Hopefully we can make that happen this weekend.” The Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (@CTMPOfficial) is Canada’s biggest sports car race and takes place on Sunday 13th July, starting at 7pm Irish time. It’s a 2hr 45 minute race on the 2.5mile track, which Faulkner says is “definitely not a circuit for the faint hearted. It’s great, it’s fast, flowing and quite challenging too.”
Faulkner is upbeat about GB Autosport’s ability to perform in this top Canadian event. “We had two blowouts in our last race – the Sahlen’s 6 Hours at Watkins Glen – but we made some good times and to be frank, we haven’t realised our true potential results wise. We are a new team, we are striving to have an incident-free weekend and hopefully then we can show our true colours. “
“At this level you don’t win by fluke and as a team you need to know how to win and I feel we are getting closer. Obviously, there are different manufacturers and really what we hope for is that we are the fastest Porsche and Porsche are the fastest manufacturer.”
Faulkner knows what it takes to win in a Porsche with countless laps in his 20-year racing career, including back-to-back championships in the Porsche Carrera GB Cup in 2005 and 2006. “This time we will be racing without team founder Mike Avenatti, who is down with an injury, and I will be joined by Ben Barker from England. “
Practice for all classes in USC Championship starts on Friday 11th, with qualifying on the afternoon of Saturday 12th. The 165-minute race is set to go green on Sunday 13th July at 7pm Irish time. Viewers at home can catch live coverage on Motors Sports TV UK (Sky 447) and the race will also be streamed live on imsa.com <http://imsa.com> . Look out for GB Autosport in car No. 81, the Tully’s Coffee Porsche 911 GT America competing in the GT Daytona class.
· A native of Moville, on the Inishowen peninsula in Co Donegal, Damien Faulkner has been racing for almost 20 years and won his first Championship at 19 years of age.
· He soon went on to a string of early wins, including 1994 Champion Irish Formula Ford, 1995 Champion British Formula Vauxhall Junior W. Series, 1997 Champion British Formula Renault Sport Winter Trophy and 2000 Champion European Formula Palmer Audi Series.
· Faulkner divides his time between the US, Donegal and Dublin.
· The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship (USC) is a racing series run by the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA). It was formed as a result of a merger between the American Le Mans Series and Rolex Sports Car Series, and marks the beginning of a new era in North America.
· The Porsche 911 GT America is a new racecar built by Porsche Motorsport exclusively for this year’s new United SportsCar Championship series and new GT Daytona class. It is also based on the seventh generation of the Porsche 911 street car, and represents an enhanced version of the highly-successful Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.
· Faulkner is the only Irish driver to compete in the full season of this new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship (USC) series.